Madonna Center helps individuals and families improve their daily lives through education, connections to resources, healthy aging and a sense of community.
We provide several programs designed to educate young children, and our staff has undergone Texas School Ready’s comprehensive preschool teacher training to help prepare children for success in school.
From after-school programs to senior services, Madonna Center has activities and programs meant to build community among all age groups.
Our vision is one of educated children, resourceful individuals and families, and a safe, healthy community.
The Madonna Center is officially a 4-Star TRS Provider for the Texas Rising Star Program! The Texas Rising Star Program is a quality-based childcare rating system of Texas Early Childhood programs.
The Center’s 4-Star rating means we have built a strong team of childcare providers and teachers to provide the best care for the children who walk through our doors every day.
Thank you to Pre-K 4 SA for supporting us and mentoring us throughout this process.
We would also like to thank our staff for their hard work and commitment to making the Madonna Center a 4-Star TRS Provider.
Commitment to Quality Services
The agency was founded in 1939 by the Sisters of Divine Providence as the Girls’ Club of San Antonio, and occupied a former residence at 403 Dwyer Avenue.
In 1941, the agency was accepted as a member of the Community Chest, the forerunner to today’s United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County. Five “extension units” were set up in 1944 to better serve the membership from several parts of the city. Around the same time groups for women were organized, and when the girls requested co-educational groups, boys were admitted to some of the social clubs. From then on, the Girl’s Club emphasized family membership and had groups for adults as well as for boys and girls of every age.
As services continued, the demand was too great for the staff time available and it also became clear that the building was far too small for the membership. A building fund drive was started and was enthusiastically supported by the staff and board of directors and, in a special way, by the members themselves who worked hard on various projects to raise the necessary money.
In September, 1956 the new building at 1906 Castroville Road opened for fall the program. About the same time, the Constitution of the agency was revised, the board of directors voted to formally change the name of the agency to Madonna Neighborhood Centers.
Board of Directors
Juan Martinez, MA | President
Dave Toomey | Vice President/Treasurer
Leticia Luna | Member
Sr. Mary Bordelon, CDP | Member
Juan Antonio Chavira | Member
Norma Garcia | Member
Maria Butcher | Member
Laura Barberena, PhD | Member
Inez I. Cruz, PhD | Member
Maria Bayoumi | Member
Michael Buecher | Member
Roger Caballero | Executive Director
Luis Perez | Director of Operations
Elisa Romasanta | Children Programs Coordinator
Julia Gelacio | Individual, Family & Community Empowerment Coordinator
Irma Flores | Senior Services Coordinator
Make A Difference »
Donate To Help Families, Today.